Static Bag Testing Services
Because electronic components are becoming smaller and more sensitive, it’s critical to ensure they’re protected against ESD events such as static discharge. As stated in ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” Per the newer 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, shielding requirements were changed such that remaining discharge for the bags should be 20 nanojoules or less. The Pink Poly bag is one of the more popular low charging bags. Pink Poly bags are made with a tinted polyethylene material and an antistatic coating that may wear away. This turns the bag insulative over time, as such, it is no longer compliant to ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. The bags also lack discharge shielding protection that makes components within the bag subject to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are made from a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This film provides SCS bags with a shielding layer which creates a Faraday cage thus protecting the ESD-sensitive components within the bag from any ESD event damage. The low charging inner and outer layer of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, limiting the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Ever been questioned by your quality manager about shelf life on ESD bags? Maybe it is an internal quality procedure that is being written and you’d like to know the manufacturer’s thoughts on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Today we will look at the topic of ESD Static Control bag storage and how it relates to expected shelf life. There are 1000’s of things to consider when talking about shelf life. Temperature, storage rack conditions, how it was transported, even local climate to name a few. So the key points are:
- Avoid extremes: heat, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen 5 yrs. of proven shelf life.
- Follow the FIFO inventory process as a best practice.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent warranty the product for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase. Make sure to audit annually or before use as a best practice and assure that your devices receive the best possible protection.
- If your bags are questionable, recycle the product at your local recycling center and order new ones from Restronics New England.